What is Slow Carb Diet?
Like the ketogenic diet, this diet plan also entails a minimal amount of carbohydrates and a moderate amount of protein in order to lose weight. The primary goal of this diet plan is to allow people to achieve their desired weight with minimum effort.
Additionally, people who are interested to try this diet plan might opt to include dietary supplements and proper exercise to lose weight faster.
In all honesty, the process of losing weight is also quite similar to the ketogenic diet since the breakdown of fat in your body increases. Meanwhile, here is the list of things that you should remember when in a slow carb diet.
First, you have to keep in mind that this diet plan allows you to have one (1) cheat day provided that you will only eat limited healthy food for six days. In addition, you are only allowed to stick within these five (5) major food groups: vegetables, legumes, spices, protein, and carbohydrates.
It’s important to note that during your cheat day, you are allowed to eat everything you want. To help you maintain your slow carb diet, you might want to take note of these following reminders.
- Limit your fruit intake since excessive sugar count is not highly encouraged in this diet. However, tomatoes and avocados are recommended as long as it will be consumed in moderate amount.
- Be prepared to avoid processed carbohydrates like pasta, bread, cereals, sugar, as well as dairy products. In this regard, you are not entirely restricting yourself from consuming carbs since it is vital to keep our body healthy and functional. Instead, you are only limiting the intake of healthy carbs for this diet.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and other high-calorie drinks. Not only is it unhealthy but it also contains moderate to a high number of calories too. This makes it unsuitable for this dietary plan.
- Drink lots of water every day.
- Start avoiding fried food. Most of them tend to be extremely oily and unhealthy that is why it is not recommended to eat fried food unless it is your cheat day.
Who has to avoid trying this diet plan?
According to experts, women who are constantly engaging in physical activities are not encouraged to use this plan to lose weight. With low carb intake, your body may fail to produce enough energy for you to perform strenuous activities like workout and weightlifting.
In the case that your body may indeed fail to produce energy, you may experience fatigue, dizziness, and fainting. In simpler terms, it is unsafe for women who are physically active to try this kind of diet since it will be difficult for our body to produce and store energy.
Why should you try a slow carb diet?
Aside from the fact that this diet provides you with the nutrition you need, it also provides you with a good variety of food to choose from. Moreover, these foods are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which are surely very beneficial for your body.
Fiber, for instance, helps in the smooth flow of your digestive tract. Also, antioxidants that come from plant foods may protect you from cell damage, may make your skin look healthier, and may reduce your risk of acquiring chronic diseases like cancer.
Just note that the effects of every diet plan may vary from one person to another. Additionally, there are other underlying factors that may affect the process of weight loss of a person which may explain the varied effects of this diet to people.