The past 20 years have seen an explosion in obesity worldwide. As a result, diet plans have become both more popular and more necessary than ever before. But the fact is most diets fall flat on their face because they only pay lip service to the most important aspect of losing weight: exercise.
Most people don’t become overweight because they suddenly start eating more. They put on weight because they sit behind a desk all day, every day. So any weight loss program that doesn’t address this issue is bound to fail.
The Body Spartan Genesis Program tackles this issue head-on. It’s a comprehensive diet and exercise program, and we’re here to see if it works.
What is Body Spartan Genesis?
Body Spartan Genesis is a comprehensive diet and exercise program created by former WWE wrestler Gabe Tuft (Tyler Reks). Tuft/Reks set out to produce a conditioning program that addresses both sides of the weight-loss equation: diet and exercise.
Once you sign up for Body Spartan Genesis, you gain access to the entire program which includes:
- A comprehensive nutrition plan – You’ll have all your macros laid out for you, as well as foods you should and foods you should not eat.
- A well-rounded workout routine – The secret to successful weight loss has as much to do with becoming active again as it does with watching what you eat. The Body Spartan Genesis Program guides you through a 12-week exercise program designed to get you active and build good workout habits.
- A supplement guide – Whenever you lose weight and/or start to exercise your nutritional needs change. This program provides an overview of the supplement market as well as which ones to use and which to avoid.
What is Included in the Body Spartan Genesis Program?
The Nutritional Program
As we mentioned, the Body Spartan Genesis Program attempts to cover all the bases when it comes to providing you the best chance at losing weight and keeping it off.
As such, the program leads off with a comprehensive nutritional program designed to help you rethink your relationship to food and provide you with ways to lose weight in the most effective fashion.
All that said, however, their idea of getting you to rethink your relationship to food is to put you on the keto diet. If you aren’t aware of the ketogenic diet, it’s all the rage these days. It was devised over a century ago for strictly medical purposes but was rediscovered in recent years because it provides may be the only surefire way there is to lose weight.
The diet requires you to drastically cut back on your carbohydrate intake. This forces your body to transition into burning fat for fuel instead of carbs in a process known scientifically as “ketosis” (hence the name “keto”). The keto diet works. There is no doubt about that.
But it’s not easy to adhere to because it just so happens most of our favorite foods are carb-heavy. So giving them up isn’t easy.
The Exercise Program
The program requires you to spend at least 1 hour a day in the gym, with 1 day of rest per week. There’s also a 20-minute cardio component. So all in all, this is a 12-week program with 4 phases. They are:
- Strength training – The video guides will take you through all the various exercises with the first phase concentrating on getting you to activate muscle fibers.
- Mass training – During this phase, you’ll become familiar with drop sets and up both the number of reps you do per set and the number of sets.
- Endurance training – By the last month of the program, they assume you’ve lost weight and gained some muscle mass. So the emphasis shifts to building endurance. To do so, you increase reps significantly. This is high-intensity training at its best.
- Cardio – The cardio component will consist of 20 minutes of HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) every day to get you going in the morning.
“You burn energy while at rest as long as you exercise at least three days a week on a regular basis.” – Harvard School of Public Health
How Much Does it Cost?
The Body Spartan Genesis Program costs $69.95 (plus any applicable tax). For that, you get access to the things we laid out above, printable pdfs and online videos. The product comes with a 90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee, but there are a few things you’ll need to do before you can claim that refund.
You’ll need to have viewed all of the associated videos on the website within the first 30 days and read all the related information. You must also practice the program for a full 30 days and record what you did and the results you got.
All that must be included in your refund request along with a detailed letter laying out exactly what aspect of the program you are not satisfied with and why. And don’t forget to include the exact date you started the program and the precise date you stopped.
If that seems like a lot, it’s because it is. At the same time, however, we can understand that it’s important for someone offering a product like this to protect themselves against people trying to get the program without paying for it. So Gabe and Co. are just protecting their legitimate interests.
What are the Pros and Cons of Body Spartan Genesis?
The pros and cons of Body Spartan Genesis mostly concern issues of time and commitment. Here are those pros and cons as we see them:
- Saves you time and hassle – Trying to devise an effective workout/diet program on your own can be a pain to say the least. In fact, being unable to come up with a well-rounded diet, nutrition, and exercise program on their own is often the single biggest reason people fail in their efforts to get in shape. Body Spartan Genesis does all the foundation work for you. Therefore you can hit the ground running.
- Member’s area – Once you become a member of the program, you get unlimited access to the Body Spartan Genesis member’s area. There you’ll find a number of helpful worksheets that can be downloaded and printed out. There are also instructional videos that guide you through various aspects of the program. They cover everything from the importance of proper form to how to optimize muscle building.
- A guide to the keto diet – It seems the ketogenic diet is everywhere these days. But there’s a good reason for that. It works. It’s also one of the best diets to be on if you’re interested in, not only losing weight but transforming your body into one that’s lean and mean. So the Body Spartan Genesis program guides you through how to implement the keto diet, its basic principles, and how to customize it to fit your particular needs.
- It’s the keto diet – The great thing about the ketogenic diet is that anyone can grasp the concept and do it themselves. You don’t need to hire a guru or buy anything or sign up for special meal deliveries. Just cut your carbs and you’ll lose weight. So paying someone to help you with the keto diet seems a bit unnecessary.
- Support seems lacking – While it’s good that they provide you with some printouts and videos, we’d really like to see more in terms of support. Maybe a hotline where you can ask questions of a nutritionist, somebody you can chat with if you have questions about certain exercises and stuff like that.
At the end of the day, the pros would seem to outweigh the cons here. Especially if you’re the type who can commit to the program.
The Body Spartan Genesis Program is a sensible, logical nutrition and exercise program that’s clearly laid out and reasonably easy to follow. The major drawback we see is the ketogenic diet component.
There’s a reason a lot of people who start the keto diet never see it through: they don’t want to give up their favorite carb-heavy dishes like spaghetti, pizza, ice cream and more. And so after a few weeks of keto, they throw in the towel.
If you can manage to stick to that component of the Body Spartan Genesis Program however, it is likely it can help you both lose weight and, more importantly, keep it off. You’ll also emerge stronger at the end of the 12 weeks and likely have a whole new outlook on life.