Better be prepared than never!
The challenge of owning a cat, or any pet for that matter, is deciding whether to get cat insurance or not. A pet insurance mainly covers vet fees if your cat becomes sick or is accidentally injured. It may also include several economic advantages like the cost of advertising in the event the cat is lost, or taking care of your cat if you are ill. Of course, not all pet insurance policies are the same, but providing a trustworthy, and affordable insurance coverage for your cats will give you peace of mind, especially when it comes to petmergencies.
Why it’s important to get your cats insured
Just like humans, pets are also prone to accidents, and are vulnerable to different kinds of health conditions too. The main reason why you should get your cat insured, of course, is to be prepared when accidents happen or an illness hits your furry friend.
Cats are unpredictable, and are good at hiding symptoms of illnesses. Treating them on your own might not be the best thing to do in case of emergencies. As cat parents, you should be able to take good care of them in order to provide them long, and healthy lives.
How it works
Like any other insurance policy for people, pet insurance policies also come with a range of insurance coverage, co-payments, reimbursements, and premiums. But the cost of pet insurance varies from pet to pet – still, the cost still ranges from hundreds of dollars to thousands.
For cats, here are some important factors that will affect the cost of their insurance:
- Breed. The breed of the cat is one of the most important things your insurer will have to consider. Some breeds tend to have more health problems than others. For example, some breeds of cats are more prone to specific health conditions.
- Age. As cats get older, the higher the risk is when it comes to diseases.
- Location. Of course, vet prices also vary, depending on where you live. Usually, urban areas have higher insurance costs.
Choosing the right insurance policy
When choosing the appropriate insurance for your cats, it’s important to do your research first, and then consult vet hospitals. Here are other things to consider when choosing the best pet insurance for your cats:
- Make it right the first time. Pet insurance is not meant for second chances. It’s better to get the best insurance policy the first time. Consider what you want.
- Never ignore the terms and conditions. They may not be the most exciting thing to read but this is very important to make sure that the policy is going to cover what’s best for your cat.
- Don’t just consider the price. Pet insurance does not work the same. Some might cover every single thing, some may not – and this will determine the price. Just because it’s affordable, it doesn’t make it more efficient.
- Don’t just go for expensive ones. Again, never depend on price. Look at what the policy covers – if it covers the things you want for your cat, then that’s the best way to go.
- If still in doubt, ask. Choosing pet insurance may take you days. If still not sure, you may call them and ask for clarifications.
As you can see, pet insurance is not as easy as it seems. You have to consider a lot of factors, and it involves critical planning. The bottom line is, when choosing pet insurance for your cats, the best option is the policy that will allow you to have peace of mind, knowing you have everything you need when the worst comes.