Let’s face it, asking a woman to spend the rest of her life with you is no trivial matter and there’s that constant risk of rejection, the thought that she might say no. If you are planning to pop that magical question in 2021, here are a few tips to help you create a memorable experience that you will both treasure forever.
- The Ring – The very symbol of your love, the diamond engagement ring is something she will wear every day of her life and it should be of a style she loves. If there was ever a time for a bespoke design, this would be it, and custom jewellery is no more expensive, yet you are creating a unique ring that can be handed down through generations as an heirloom. For more information on custom diamond engagement rings, Google is your best friend and once connected to a custom jeweller, you can talk about budget and styles and a design can be created. She will love the idea that her engagement ring is a one of a kind, which makes it so personal.
- The Location – If you are looking for the ideal proposal place in Bangkok, you are literally spoiled for choice and Google is your best friend when searching for a romantic evening venue when you can drop to one knee and ask her to marry you. Of course, you should plan for the chilled champagne to be brought to the table at the right moment and perhaps some violin music and let’s not forget a photographer to capture the experience.
- Keeping a Secret – If you are planning on this being a surprise, you will need to be very selective with who you involve; ideally, one of her good friends would help to find out her ring size, an essential requirement. When you are together, be careful what you say, as women are very intuitive and casually asking about ring styles would certainly set alarm bells ringing. Don’t leave receipts or notes laying around, or anything that might arouse suspicion.
- Recording the Event – Whatever you decide to do, make sure a good friend is filming the entire thing. We have great smartphone tech that makes it easy to video and with one of the editing apps, you can create a file that will bring back memories and wow your kids. It wouldn’t cost much to have a videographer for the evening and that way, you are sure to have a great film of the event. Imagine how your son or daughter would react if, many years from now, you showed them a video of you proposing to mum! If you film the engagement party and the wedding reception, you have the footage to create a complete story and you can add christenings as they occur.
- The Actual Question – You might prefer to make it a formal request, with the traditional ‘will you marry me?’ or something a little more intimate. It is a good idea to spend some time thinking about exactly how you will propose, and, of course, you should be very confident that you will receive an affirmative answer. You should have known each other for at least a year and only you know if the time is right to ask her to commit to a life together. If you both discuss a future together, then it won’t be too much of a shock when you pop the question and you can forget about her saying no.
- Set a Budget – This would not include the ring, rather the cost of the evening, including the celebration meal afterwards. If you are using extras such as musicians and photographers, don’t forget to factor this into the cost. Getting married can be very expensive, so do make sure that you can afford to set the ball rolling and that this is the right time to ask her for her hand in marriage. Click here for tips on how to maintain financial stability.
- Preparing a Party – Of course, this is optional and if you have lots of friends, arranging a get together to celebrate the occasion is a good idea. Use the Internet to source a suitable venue and make sure you give guests ample time to schedule the date in their diaries, although if you are planning a surprise, this might be a problem. One way is to announce the date of the party on the day of the engagement, which you could do with a social media post and include a few photos of the proposal. Do check for Covid-19 updates before arranging a party, for obvious reasons.
If you have a good friend who can help you to plan the proposal, this makes it so much easier and create a list of things you will need, along with tasks that need to be completed in order for the proposal to be a very special event.