Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is one of the country’s top tourist destinations in the summer months, but what about the winter? You may not have realized Myrtle Beach and all of the Grand Strand can be a great place to visit during the holidays.
It’s full of festive events and shows, and a Myrtle Beach Christmas also means that you get the joy of having the beach nearly to yourself, which is peaceful and relaxing.
If you’re thinking about a Myrtle Beach getaway this holiday season, the following are some things not to miss.
Holiday Shows and Performances
Myrtle Beach is known for having a number of theaters, and they host year-round variety shows, musicals, magic acts and more. During the holiday season, most of these venues transition their shows to be Christmas-themed.
The following are some of the best holiday theater shows in Myrtle Beach.
- Christmas on Ice: Christmas On Ice features ice skating routines, holiday music, and plenty of cheer. It’s a two-hour event, and there is a group of international ice skaters on the 60-foot stage.
- The South’s Grandest Christmas Show: This show is at The Alabama Theater, and it also lasts around two hours and runs throughout the holiday season, each evening. The holiday-themed musical features all of the classic Christmas tunes as well as comedy from Ricky Mokel.
- Christmas at the Pirates Voyage & Dinner Show: The Pirates Voyage & Dinner Show is one of the premier shows in Myrtle Beach and one of the most popular, and it transforms into a holiday theme while still keeping in-line with the overall pirate storyline. This dinner theater show runs for around 2 ½ hours, and it features Captain Blackbeard, his Quartermaster, and the Crimson and Sapphire Tour, for an interactive experience. The show includes a four-course meal as well. During November and December, you actually follow along with Captain Scrooge as he tries to discover the true meaning of the holidays. There is a live nativity scene with real animals too.
- Legends in Concert: The Legends in Concert show is held at Legends Theater in Myrtle Beach, and they have an Ultimate Christmas Spectacular show during the holiday season. There are performers impersonating Dolly Parton, the Blues Brothers, Nat King Cole, and more.
- The Spirit and Soul of Christmas: This show is at the Asher Theatre and is a family-friendly Christmas show with classic carols performed in blues, gospel, soul, and rhythm style.
Brookgreen Gardens Nights of a Thousand Candles
Brookgreen Gardens was founded in 1931, and it’s a National Historic Landmark as well as being on the National Register of Historic Places. It’s also been named as one of the Top 10 Public Gardens by Coastal Living Magazine, and Travel+Leisure Magazine named them as having the Best Christmas Lights in South Carolina in 2018.
During the holidays at Brookgreen Gardens, there are more than 2,700 hand-lit candles and Christmas lights in the gardens. You can walk the paths and enjoy a cup of cider, wine or cocoa and there are carolers.
Ripley’s Aquarium Festival of Trees
Ripley’s Aquarium is a favorite tourist destination in Myrtle Beach, and it’s even more exciting during the holiday season when they hold their Ripley’s Festival of Trees.
There are more than 100 decorated trees at the Festival of Trees, and each year they center around a particular theme.
Intracoastal Christmas Regatta
The Intracoastal Christmas Regatta is an annual tradition that takes place on the waterway of nearby Little River and North Myrtle Beach. It’s on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and the waterway boating parade starts at the Little River Inlet around 5 pm. It then goes south, ending at the Dock Holidays Marina at 7 p.m.
There are different areas along the waterway from where you can view the Regatta, including many restaurants that are on the parade route that plan special menus for the events.
Christmas at the Beach- Broadway at the Beach
Broadway at the Beach is the top shopping and dining venue in Myrtle Beach, and they hold their own Christmas at the Beach events. In addition to the seasonal decorations and events at various stores and restaurants, there is also the “A Very Broadway Christmas,” which takes place in December.
It includes the annual tree-lighting ceremony, all-day holiday-themed entertainment and activities, and the A Very Broadway Christmas Parade.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly holiday destination, why not enjoy the shoreline and events Myrtle Beach has to offer?