Some may think that the quality of the air in their homes isn’t all that important. They may also think that their homes air is better because it is closed in. Well good air quality is something everyone should consider for various reasons. It is just not something most people think about. Below you will find 6 reasons why air quality is important. It might show you things you never considered before.
- Probably the most important reason to make sure you have good air quality is that we spend more and more time indoors. With all the technology, children do not go out to play as much. Adults are usually indoors when they get to work and also when they get home. All that time indoors make it a real necessity to have quality air. If you or your children have allergies you will want to have good quality air to keep symptoms down to a minimum.
- Second hand smoke is bad for everyone in your home. It can make asthma worse. If you have any kind of breathing problem, second hand smoke should be something that is avoided. It can cause children to have ear infections. It has been looked at for causing sudden infant death syndrome. It has proven not to be good for your health and is something that can make you have poor air quality.
- Radon is a gas pollutant and a form of radiation that can come in through any cracks or openings in your home. It has no odor or color. It can cause lung cancer and is known to be the 2nd largest cause of lung cancer. It is a very dangerous gas that could come into your home. Having a radon detector is a must for every home.
- Natural disasters can bring things into your home that you may not think about. Floods can cause mold which is proven to be bad for your health. Even the generators used when the power is out can emit pollutants that are harmful. This is caused when people do not properly vent the generators. They can put enough carbon monoxide in the air to kill someone.
- Some air quality hazards can be things like manmade materials for buildings. It used to be lead paint and fiberglass insulation but with all the new kinds of material used in building, we do not know exactly what health issues could arise from all the new types of materials.
- The way they are building energy efficient homes can make for bad air quality. New upgrades like windows can seal off a home and do not get as much outside air. This is great for your pocket book but not so much for your air quality. A home or any building needs outside air to keep pollutants down. All the energy efficient upgrades do not let as much outside air in so pollutants have nowhere to go. The pollutants can build up and affect the health of everyone in the building. The EPA suggests that you make sure the vents have equal amounts of inside and outside air. They say to check your airflow every time you do an update. If you ever get that stuffy feeling in a room it is probably poor air quality and you may need to check your ventilation.
Everyone has dealt with poor air quality at some point. There are things you can do to make the air quality in your home or office better. Vacuum and dust every day, do not use aerosol products, Take your shoes off before you enter your home and avoid smoking inside. There are air purifiers that can help to keep the air cleaner in your home. Whole house purifiers can be a little pricey but your health is well worth it. You can also buy a room air purifier if you are on a budget.